VIRTUAL COMPOSER SUMMIT
Embark on a 7-week journey with Ryan Leach and Christopher Siu that will transform your compositions and orchestrations forever, enabling you to finally write the music you've always dreamed of.
REGISTRATION IS CURRENTLY CLOSED. JOIN THE WAITLIST BELOW!
- Weekly live masterclasses with Ryan and Chris
- Weekly track feedback + Q&A calls
- Regular assignments to keep you on track
- Lifetime access to content + future updates
- Detailed feedback and support, tailored to your specific needs
- Exclusive access to the Virtual Composer Summit Discord community
- NEW FOR 2024: Guest masterclasses, bonus assignments, sample library discounts, and a new & improved structure!
7 WEEKS OF INTENSE, PERSONALIZED COACHING...
COVERING COMPOSITION, ORCHESTRATION, SAMPLE LIBRARIES, MIXING & MASTERING, AND MORE.
With weekly masterclasses, live Q&A calls, real-time composing sessions, and personalized feedback on your music, you've got everything you need to take your music and career to the next level.
VIRTUAL COMPOSER SUMMIT
Master the art of music creation so you can publish music that you're proud to share with the world.
AFTER VIRTUAL COMPOSER SUMMIT, YOU'LL BE ABLE TO:
- Compose memorable themes and effective chord progressions
- Structure your pieces properly so they take your audience on a complete journey
- Orchestrate your music using your sample libraries
- Mix & master your music to a professional degree
- Release your music to the world and build your portfolio
- And much more!
In 7 value-packed weeks, you’ll learn everything you need to compose, orchestrate, and mix/master your music with confidence, clarity, and creativity.
THE BASICS OF COMPOSITION
To kick things off, we'll learn how to establish a firm foundation with our musical ideas. Week 1 will focus entirely on the fundamentals of composing, including:
- Melody writing and development
- Chord progressions and harmonic language
- Form and structure for a cohesive piece of music
By the end of week 1, you’ll have a complete piece of music ready for arranging!
ORCHESTRATION & ARRANGEMENT
It's time to dive into the world of orchestration! Among many other topics, this week will explore:
- How each instrument and section functions, both in solo and ensemble contexts
- Common/uncommon doubling combinations for unique textures and emotional results
- Why many arrangements sound muddy and static, and how to create clarity instead
This material will enable you to choose the right instrumentation for your piece, and convey the appropriate musical message you're aiming for.
WRITING IN THE STYLE OF FILM & VIDEO GAMES
Now that we've covered the fundamentals of composing and orchestration, it's time to apply them to specific styles and genres! We'll cover:
- How to write and arrange in common styles, including action, romance, adventure, and underscore
- How to evoke desired colours and emotions through instrument selection and layering
- Examples of our own personal projects for real-life examples
With these fundamentals in place, you'll know how to write and arrange in any particular style you're aiming for.
SAMPLE LIBRARIES & DAW WORKFLOW
Now that we understand the basics of orchestration and instrumentation, it's time to explore the world of DAWs and sample libraries! Week 4 will break down:
- Which sample libraries are the best for you and your music
- How to use your tools quickly and efficiently, so you'll never be overwhelmed by the tech and can focus on creating
- Our essential DAW workflows so you can create with ease and confidence
By the end of week 4, you'll know exactly what sample libraries to use for your music, as well as how to use them in your DAW of choice.
PRODUCTION TECHNIQUES & MIDI ORCHESTRATION
Now that we've uncovered the world of DAWs and sample libraries, it's time to put our virtual instruments to use. You'll learn exactly how to:
- Create realistic-sounding mockups without worrying about realism itself
- Use modulation, volume, and expression effectively for natural and musical results
- Create an arrangement that tells a story, and takes your listener on a satisfying journey
After week 5, your mockup will be complete and ready for mixing!
MIXING & MASTERING
It's time to polish up our track to a professional level through mixing & mastering! We'll discuss:
- A simple & repeatable mixing & mastering workflow you can use immediately
- How to create cohesion, balance, and warmth in your mixes
- Essential reverb and mic placement techniques for a consistent and realistic sound
By the end of this week, you'll have a fully completed piece of music in your hands that's ready to be published!
LAUNCH PARTY & TRACK RELEASE
We've made it! This week is all about finalizing our tracks, sharing them with the world, and celebrating together!
- Personalized feedback on your music to wrap up your track for good
- Next steps to take your learning and career even further
- A custom certificate to mark your progress and completion of the program!
This is where we can truly celebrate one another, cheer on each other's success, and walk away with a piece of music (or two) that you can be proud to share with the world.
VIRTUAL COMPOSER SUMMIT INCLUDES...
2 LIVE SESSIONS A WEEK
Every week, Ryan and Chris will go live and guide you through the material together. These sessions include:
- A core masterclass covering the topic of the week, plus a live demonstration of the material in real time so you can follow along at your own pace
- Live track feedback & Q&A calls to provide customized critique and answer any and all questions you may have
With the calls distributed evenly each week (Monday & Thursday), you'll always have something to look forward to.
LIFETIME ACCESS TO THE EXCLUSIVE DISCORD SERVER
When you join, you'll have immediate access to the private VCS Discord server, where all the other members will be hanging out, exchanging ideas, swapping feedback, and much more! In this group you can:
- Ask for general or specific feedback on your music
- Discover what others are working on and learn from them in the process
- Create lifelong friendships and connections
To get the most out of this program, we highly recommend joining and interacting with the other members inside this exclusive community!
It's a simple fact that improvement truly occurs when you put what you learn into practice. With our weekly assignments, you will:
- Be held accountable and establish a consistent routine
- Follow along with Ryan and Chris in real time, applying what you learn to your own music
- Discover new techniques and approaches you may not have considered before
With our weekly assignments and live feedback sessions, we'll ensure that you never fall behind and are thoroughly invested in your learning and application, to truly get the best out of your music.
SAMPLE LIBRARY DISCOUNTS
As a member of the program, you'll have access to educational discounts on some incredible libraries, including:
- Cinematic Studio Series: get 25% off their entire catalogue
- Cinesamples MUSIO: $49/year instead of $99/year (50% discount)
- Audio Imperia: 20% off their all-in-one package Nucleus
- And more (consistently updated!)
We recommend using certain libraries to bring out the best in your musical ideas, and these tools will give you a wonderful foundation to build from and bring your ideas to life.
" I really appreciate all the work that you both put into this.
I especially appreciated the feedback on composition - you both have a knack for identifying issues, but being kind, straightforward, and encouraging in your critique.
I always felt like your comments were actionable and I had a plan for the subsequent session! "
- Michael Bishop
" Before this summit, I had never really finished anything I was happy with.
Ryan and Christopher's expertise will deliver skills to complete your project from initial sketch to fully produced master. Their step-by-step process is very informative, easy to follow, and allows interaction with other musicians of a comparable skill level.
I highly recommend VCS to anyone who's struggling with writing and producing orchestral music. "
- David Bradley
" The Virtual Composer Summit gave me a taste of what it's like to make music that you're proud of.
As someone who struggles with structure and discipline, the weekly feedback from my peers and the instructors served as a much-needed roadmap for my composition.
It is wonderful being a part of a community of musicians with a common purpose and to see everyone's music evolve and come to life. Chris and Ryan are actively engaged in the process and genuinely want to help you succeed.
Overall, the VCS was a memorable experience that has kickstarted my desire and ability to create meaningful music. "
- Ian Shields
" I had a great experience throughout the entire summit.
I'm grateful for the chance to be a part of it! "
- Chet Breister
" I just want to let you know what a singular experience the Virtual Composer Summit was, meeting with everyone each week and getting and giving such in-depth feedback.
It was such a great learning experience and I felt privileged to be a part of it.
You both did a fantastic job. My compliments to the way you ran everything! "
- Michael Johnson
Check out some of these incredible tracks from our past students!
ABOUT YOUR MENTORS...
Chris is a classically-trained pianist, songwriter/composer, arranger, and educator, and has composed & orchestrated for film and video games, along with genres like pop, big band, R&B, broadway/Disney, and cinematic trailer tracks.
He's had the pleasure of working with some of the most talented musicians around the world, including Tina Guo (cellist for Hans Zimmer), Anne-Kathrin Dern (The Claus Family), David Wise (Donkey Kong Country) and Steven Melin (Dark Dice), and pop artists including RoomieOfficial, Austin Hull (MakePopMusic), Clay Agnew (Foxchase), and Jonathan & Friends.
A few of his credits include music and orchestrations for Hallmark's romantic comedy 'Her Pen Pal', and original music and arrangements for the Dark Dice series (which won awards including 'Best Original Score' at the 2022 Signal Awards).
As an 8 year old growing up in South Australia, Ryan started studying guitar so that he could play Beatles songs, which marked the beginning of a lifelong passion for music.
Now an award winning composer for film and TV, his music has been heard on every major network and clients include Disney, The California Lottery, MTV, Lowe’s, Rainn Wilson's SoulPancake, and the Netflix Original film Candy Jar. He currently runs a successful Youtube channel where he makes videos about the craft of writing music.
Before branching out as a freelance composer, Ryan earned a degree in Film Scoring from Berklee College of Music and worked as assistant to veteran composer Michael Levine at Hans Zimmer's Remote Control Productions.